SLSU President Receives Garbo sa CNU 2017 Educational Leadership Award
Dr. Prose Ivy Guasa- Yepes, Southern Leyte State University President, was awarded by the Federation of Cebu Normal University Alumni Associations, Incorporated the GARBO sa CNU 2017 Educational Leadership Award on June 24, 2017 at Cebu Normal University, Cebu City. Dr. Yepes was given this year’s award for her significant contributions in the field of education. She was nominated by former CHED 7 Director Dr. Nenita Lapingcao. The award was presented by Director Ramir C. Uytico the FCNUAAI President and Department of Education Region 8 Director.
The awardees were selected based on their exemplary commitment to the promotion of academic quality and excellence and integrity through educational programs, projects and innovations.
In 2014 Dr. Yepes became the 3rd SLSU president and since then the university was awarded Center of Development for Teacher Education Programs. Furthermore, under her leadership and stewardship the following are among the university’s accomplishments and contributions to the community:
- SLSU Received Certificate of Recognition from Professional Regulatory Commission and Professional Regulatory Board of Criminology for obtaining 3rd PLACE, with 50 or more examinees and with at least 80% passing percentage, with an average of 90% passing percentage among the schools/colleges/universities with EXEMPLARY PASSING PERFORMANCE in the October 17-19, 2015 Criminologists Licensure Examination.
- Passed the stage 2 ISO 9001:2008 QMS Audit
- AACCUP awarded SLSU a certificate of Recognition as Top 10 Ranking SUCs with the Most Number of Accredited Programs & Top 10 Ranking SUCs with the Most Number of Programs Awarded Level II Reaccredited Status
- Consistent satisfactory passing rate (higher than national passing %) in all Board Exams in BS in Civil Engineering, BS in Mechanical Engineering, BS in Electrical Engineering, BS in Criminology, Bachelor in Secondary Education, Bachelor in Elementary Education, BS in Fishery, AND Bachelor in Agricultural Technology
- 100% passing percentage in the Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Board Examinations
- Obtained Maturity Level 2 in Recruitment, Selection and Placement HRD Learning and Development Performance Management Rewards and Recognition
- Produced two (2) CHED accredited Research Journals (Category B), namely, Journal of Education and Human Resource Development (JEHRD) and Journal of Science, Engineering and Technology (JSET); and established SLSU Journals Online System
- Submitted 3 inventions for patent and 8 for utility model registration to the IPOPhil
- Consistently passed the MFO Accountability and Good Governance Accountability requirement for eligibility of the PBB grant for the last four years;
- SLSU’s initiatives to help the farmers of the province and of the region had led to the hosting of Cacao Industry Summit last August 3-4, 2016 which further led to Cacao Road Map in the region and the submission of the proposal to DOST for the establishment of Regional Cacao Center and also the hosting of National Abaca Summit 2015 that highlighted the rehabilitation of Abaca Industry in the province.
- Hosted two (2) International Research Congress and a National Research Forum: International Ulang (Freshwater Prawn) Congress in 2013, International Research Conference Business Forum on Rubber and Fresh water Prawn in 2014 and National Conference on Methodological Advances in Research (NCMAR).
- The university was also awarded research grant for “Suitability Assessment and Mapping to Support Development of Resilient Communities and Livelihoods in Selected Vulnerable Communities in the Southern Leyte” in collaboration with World Fish Asia.
- Achieved the support of DOST-PCIEERD as recipient of an Institutional Development Program support for the University’s GIS-Technology Center’s Equipment and Training activities in the amount of Php 2,600,000.00.